Saturday, July 21, 2012

Week 1

I know all about my addiction to technology; the instantaneous connection, and amount of information I have at the palm of my hand makes me a virtual genius on any topic with little notice. I took it for granted that, while I didn't grow up with the technology, it evolved as I evolved into adulthood. I expected that the generation following me would be leaps and bounds ahead of what I knew. The reality is so far from what I thought it would be. In the past decade we have done a grave injustice to the generation growing up. We have systematically impressed a need to score higher and do better, without giving them the tools they need to advance. Ed tech is not just about handing students computers, but teaching them how to use it effectively and responsibly; How to weed out misinformation and explore topics they might be interested or curious in. Working in various schools I have seen the sad state of graduates who can barely put together a professional looking resume or research paper, and while I first blamed lack of funding (which I still think is a big problem), I recognize that teachers are not being prepared to handle this technological transition. When I read the definition this week, it struck a chord with me. The wording says it all beautifully…it’s not just about access, it’s about improving, creating, and managing all areas where I need to improve in order to be an advocate for other educators

No comments:

Post a Comment