Saturday, October 9, 2010

What Does Technology Destroy?

"How Technology will Destroy Our Future"  was the headline that first grabed my attention.  As a educational technology advocate I was shocked, but compelled to read this article which I was sure was to cause me to bring up words not spoken in polite company, but I soon learned you can not always judge a blog by it's title. 
I completely agree with this article and applaud the points it makes so clear.  I think to many people look at today's generation and immediately dissmiss their controbutions.  Technology has opened doors and opportunity that were not open before and created a generation that is forward thinking and innovating.  The challenge is to engage them in activities that cultivate that knowledge.  This creates an  scenario where older generations must adapt in order to find predecessors that can continue along their ideals.  Ridged institutions must embrace the new trend or risk becoming irrelevant and obsolete.
The post refers to a situation where a high school biology teacher reversed their way of teaching using technology in order to maximize class room time.  By moving the lecture portion out of class-time, he was able to fully engage the students, answer questions, and provide more one-on-one learning.  I see this of great example of how educators need to look for opportunities and sieze what they can to help eliminate learning frustrations and obstacles.
Change is difficult for most people, but in order to continue to strive change must be accepted.  Instead of creating those "impenetrable fortresses" institutions must be flexible enough to ride the  wave of technology and embrace new generation ways of thinking. 

4 comments:

  1. I think technology offers some really exciting and effective options. Reading instruction for elementary students can be tailored to each child's needs--comprehension can be monitored and instruction adapted.

    Yet, I read an article in the New York Times today that the sales of picture books is declining because parents want their 5 year-olds to be reading chapter books to get them ready for the "tests."

    How sad. I relish very moment I spent reading "Katie the Snowplow" by Virginia Lee Burton--with my son--pointing out the minute detail in the pictures of the infrastructure of a small town as it deals with a blizzard. I do envision ipad-like Kindles for children-with full scale-color renditions of Chris Van Allsberg's Jumanji or Polar Express. I don't know what the alternate experience of touching a plastic screen would be for a toddler--as opposed to touching the words and pictures on a paper page--but I'd rather that than the disappearance of illustrations altogether. The language and subtle pictorial inferences that are offered in quality picture books are far more rich than a "Scoobie-Doo" chapter book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am witnessing colleagues (generally of older generations) say that technology will ruin our kids. One teacher states that students have access to so much information that it makes them impatient and eager to grab onto any information whether it is reliable or not. My response? Well, then we better learn how to help students manage all of the resources out there! Sadly I saw a cynical expression on his face and he stated that he will fight technology even if he is the only one left doing so. Amazing how change can scare people and leave them close-minded. We are going to be needed to lead the way for other teachers, and most importantly, students!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm on the fence with this. I think technology is a great tool--but it is not a substitute for hands-on experience--particularly for elementary-aged students. That being said, I have laptops in my room and I use them on a regular basis--for research, for geography, for Spelling City and other learning games. The more the children use them, the easier it will be to integrate new curriculum ideas. But not for everything. I must say, I despise the look of computerized drawing. I love making real "Art Book" Collages with my children each year. I am not a reactionary, but I cherish some old-world ways.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Balance is always the key, isn't it? We can't keep our schools preserved in 50 year old formaldehyde and ignore the networking advances that have changed the work place during the last two decades. Our students need to be prepared for this future. That said, we should not reinvent everything. Not everything is improved with a laptop - we need to be discerning and figure where technology fits best. Interestingly, the veteran teachers often have the best insight into these decisions, but are the last consulted. Balance.

    ReplyDelete